Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm ready for the year to start flying by

September lasted for what seemed like an eternity. Time has not been flying for me so far this year. I honestly really have nothing to write. I am just wasting time because I don't want to be doing the paperwork that isn't mine to begin with. There was an emergency situation so I am filling in for someone. One of the SLPs (speech-language pathologists) got called to federal jury duty for who knows how long. She could be gone for months. So now I have to cover for her in a school that I don't know, a system I don't know, and a caseload I don't know. Great huh? I am doing the best I can but it is a little rough. I have several kids who are 2 x a week but I am only here on Tuesdays. Last I checked, Tues was only one day of the week. So it looks like I am going to be violating a bunch of IEPs. Again, great. The therapy and lessons really aren't that bad....it's the extra paperwork that kills me. Of course I still have my own caseload the other 4 days and now I have this extra day where I get to do extra paperwork. I have to remind myself why I got into this field to begin with. I really wanted to help people. I feel like that vision is clouded by the mountain of extra work. I understand that it is a necessary evil but I feel like it can get in the way of the therapy/service we provide. Is this really what I signed up for?

I don't mean to be complaining about work AGAIN. I don't completely hate my job or anything. It just seems to be the easiest thing to complain about right now. Last weekend was a lot of fun. On Sat we went to the Ren Faire as most of you already know. It's a lot of fun dressing up. I probably would have never chosen that for myself, but I actually enjoy it. Becca got to make us all into her masterpieces. She is so amazing!! Sat night I went back to Waynesboro with Becca and Dave. We talked to their friend Joe for a little and then Becca and Dave passed out while we were watching a movie. I was quite tired myself. The next day we went to church and Sunday School. Everyone is so nice.....and Jess, a lot of them have Southern accents!! So maybe the debate about Maryland being in the North or South is still up in the air :). After church we went out to eat with Joe and Brendon and then we took a ride in Brendon's restored '72 convertible (I honestly don't know what kind of car it is). It was a glorious day and so much fun. Definitely a Sunday drive at its finest. After the drive, I passed out at Dave and Becca's during World Trade Center. It was a nice weekend even though traveling can make the following week seem long. Well I should definitely get back to that paperwork..........

8 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I have but one thing to say: When I go up north, I still talk funny, but that doesn't mean that wherever I am is the south.

You can take the girl out of the south, but you can never take the south out of the girl.

=)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

No, I really have more to say than that. I'm really pumped to have a post from you to read! I was quite sorprendida. I'm so sorry things are so insane for you...I kow kind of what you mean. Social work is the same way a lot of the time, and that's a big part of the reason I'm working for a concrete company now! It's sad that red tape can dampen someone's desire to help people, but it really can. Hang in there, though. I have complete confidence that you can handle it, and they're going to see how much you're really worth when you breeze through the extra work. I probably made that sound a little more simplistic than it really is, but I think there's some truth to it!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Oh....you looked beautiful in Becca's pictures!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

I didn't notice any of them with southern accents...maybe I've just gotten used to it. You know, in school we talked about the South as if it was well South of us and then some of the kids corrected me and told me that Maryland IS in teh South and I was like, "WEll, technically, I guess you're right!" It is under the Mason Dixon line after all.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, whatever......... I'm not going to allow such a technicality. =)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

You know, now I'm spoiled by you, too! (I told Becca that this morning.) I never expect a post from you in the middle of the day, but it happened once and now I expect it all the time. NO good.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Okay, so if someone didn't know what's been going on and they read some of your post titles, they'd be worried something awful was going on with you.... Something about "preparing for an amputation," "I have a disease," and having "a new appreciation for two hands" somehow causes concern. Pretty funny how those fell in that kind of order. The only thing funnier would have been if it talked about a disease BEFORE the amputation. Sounds kinda gruesome and sad!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I'm officially stalking you, but don't be scared. I'm a friendly stalker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home