Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Customer service is really a dis-service

I'm writing this blog for Lynette because we stayed up until 1 a.m. talking about this. This is for anyone who has ever worked in retail or another service job. Why is it that we love to work with people and help people out yet we hate to wait on customers and we don't treat them as people? Are customers really people? They often don't treat us like people. They treat us as if we were there to serve their own personal selfish desires. Customers often don't treat their cashiers as people. Therefore it is hard to treat a customer like a person. Retail is reduced to a humanless interaction. It seems to have no value or purpose except to promote materialism. The workers of the store are trying to sell something that they know the customer truly does not need while the customer suddenly realizes there is more stuff out there that they feel they need. They suddenly have all of these gadgets that they just can't function without. It seems like such a waste. So why do I do it? I guess the money. But why can't I look at it as serving people? Afterall I stand under a sign that says customer service. Essentially it is saying "people sercice". I am serving people but it honestly doesn't feel that way. I feel like I am helping to feed into the notion that the customer is always right. We have created a society where people whine and complain and get what they want. The worse you treat the person serving you, the more you seem to get out of it. We treat customers like spoiled rotten children. The customer is not always right. They are just as sinful and wrong as I am.

4 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

Yeah, Nina, why are you working there???? Never mind, I know the answer! I remember when I first turned 16 and got my first retail job at Stop & Shop I was so sweet all the time to all the customers...until about a year and a half later and all my cute innocence was gone and I was just there for teh paycheck, watching the clock tick as I beeped my life away ringing stupid groceries and smiling fake smiles to people who didn't care that I was a person behind the cash register, they just wanted their stuff and the best bargain, and suddenly I was dripping with sickly sweet sarcastism to customers, and rude when they were rude... I don't know that I'd ever want to do retail again unless it's in a bookstore somewhere or a library because I would just love being there! I would reccommend you to work at the Mustard Seed if only they paid enough to buy a happy meal week by week...but they don't.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Yeah that is one thing that i hate about retail also!!!! It really ticks me off. Especially when people talk on the phone when you are waiting on them... argh!!! I kind of feel and see how the customer is and then I decided if i am nice or whatever. We are slaves to them. Oh well!! What are we going to do... ya know?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Nikki Jordan said...

Well put my dear, well put!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Lynette said...

You are more than welcome to share my popsicles with me. I bought them for us to share, so help yourself. Any food I don't want to share I sneak to the senior center, what's mine is yours. Oh and by the way....customer service really sux.
waiting on a customer who is talking on the cell phone while trying to order makes me want to grab it from them and throw it across the room sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home