Saturday, November 17, 2007

My new exercise program, snow, and my secret shame

The above items seem to have nothing in common but I am about to change all of that. First of all, I need to tell y'all about my new exercise program. It is a wonderful program that helps you burn calories without even breaking a sweat!! I exercised for 4 hours straight and was able to sit on my butt the entire time!! It's a fool proof method that allows even the laziest of people to burn calories. Y'all have to try it. I'm going to call it the Shiver System. Here's my secret : The heat in my car does not work!! I drove from Philly to New York (for 4 hours) in 20something degree weather. I was able to burn calories while shivering in my freezing cold car. I was able to burn even more calories when it started to snow and I had to turn the air conditioner on so I could use the de-froster. It was amazing!! I probably was able to burn off the calories in at least one candy bar, if not more. Just think of the calories I will burn off when it starts to get bitter cold!! I don't think I can lose with this exercise program. I did some research on the internet and found out that you burn 2-4 times as many calories when you are shivering versus just plain cold. Very interesting!! :). So on my drive up North I got to experience my first snow of the season. It was just a dusting but it was still snow!! It reminded me of the many drives through those mountains when I had scary driving conditions. I was driving from Philly to New York once (or on my way back???) and hit complete white out conditions. It was very scary. All you see is white snow and nothing else. I also remember times when there were accidents every couple of miles due to horrible road conditions. I have definitely had some of my scariest driving experiences on that road (Route 81 through Northern PA). So I have tied together my new exercise program and the snow. Now it's time to let you in on my secret shame. I was perseverating on my secret shame during a time of almost unbearable cold in my heatless car. It helped to occupy my time for a little bit anyways. There were many lanes closed due to construction on my trip. This is my secret: I have always wanted to knock over one of the cones/dividers that separate the two lanes. I feel like it would bring me a little bit of joy to see one of those orange menaces topple over. I was on 476 (the PA turnpike's NE extension) and it was completely deserted. I was planning
on knocking over my construction thingy and stopping to take a picture of it knocked over in the highway so I could document it for y'all. Well I lost my nerve around the same time that I lost my opportunity. Why did I lose my nerve you may ask? It's not like I would be doing anything illegal or anything. This is the reason I was nervous: I actually had a friend cause a few hundred dollars of damage to her car because she accidentally knocked over a cone and it got stuck underneath her car. I've also known people to knock over those cones and nothing happens to their cars. So apparently there is an art to knocking them over. I assumed at the time that I would be the one to get the cone stuck underneath my car or some random thing like that because that tends to be how my car carma works. I weighed my options and decided I better not push my luck because nothing has happened to my car in over a month (Although I did run into a stop sign the other day, causing my bottom light to pop out of its socket :)). So I chickened out although I did find myself with no cones in the road to knock over. After my mind was occupied by this nonsense for quite awhile, I returned to thinking about my freezing cold state. This made the miles and minutes seem endless (especially when I watched the mile markers go by at tenth of a mile intervals!!). I ended up stopping at a gas station to warm up and thaw out my fingers :). So I should go because this post is very bizarre and it is pretty late.

7 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

Ha ha ha haaaaa! Does shivering really burn calories? I need to get in on this thing! And I'm SO glad you didn't knock over a cone. You would have caused car damage I'm sure, even though none of the rest of us would! and I'm SO glad you posted! Your blog is the homepage on Dave's computer so it's the first thing I see when I boot up and I know JUST as soon as you've posted! Anyway, it was good to hear yet another travel adventure and this time it was one that didn't end up with the car in the shop and you with a big bill. Now that you have a solid job, what about buying a new car, Nina? You could borrow Dave for the weekend to go with you and search so you have a male in the ratio and they won't cheat you...besides, he could help you research and find th ebest deals anyway. He's good at getting people to bring the price down. R eally, you should think about it. A VW maybe?

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

OOH! You'd be so cute in a VW!

*ahem* Now that I'm done with my blog comment eavesdropping....

You crack me up. Have I ever told you that before? You do. I was picturing you with your hood up like you were on the way down here, shivering and contemplating roadside construction devices. You're too funny. I am glad, though, that you didn't do it (though the thought has crossed my mind more than once, I'll admit). Your bad car carma probably would have stepped in and you'd have drug a barrel all the way to New York. That's no good, and definitely not funny. Well, it would be if I saw someone else doing it, but not you. I'd be worried if it was you. Is that a bad thing? That I'd be worried about my friend but no one else? Hm. I'm going to go, on that note.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Okay, cool. I wasn't scared - I was just wondering because I'd never heard of it but figured it was one of y'all (I always do when it's in that area). You know I have hits from Israel and Spain and Colombia and Argentina and Belgium and Germany and London and Norway? HOW COOL IS THAT?

(Clearly, I'm not worried. Maybe I should be, but I'm not.)

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Donde esta Nina? Le echo de menos.... =)

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

So. I hear you object to the whole "No, you can't say Merry Christmas" debaucle that arises every year. I thought probably, but since I've never been around you at Christmas (how weird!) I had no way of knowing the extent of your irritation. Mine is.....extensive. But you can read my blog and tell that.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Can you fax me some Wawa chicken noodle soup?

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Nikki Jordan said...

WOOOOAH - OK
1. What happened to your heater??

2. What happened at the Chester County Library?? Sorry my espanol is a bit rusty and I don't understand why you paid money for books at the library and left with so many!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home