Sunday, April 22, 2007

A post from the other day

(From 4/19/07)

I am writing a blog in a word document and saving it to my flash drive so I can cut and paste it later and post it. My school doesn’t allow me to open many webpages, including blogger. It’s probably a good thing too J. Last night was another mini-adventure in the life of Nina. I had to present my professional portfolio to the panel of faculty members yesterday. I had to stand up in front of all of them as well as my classmates and answer questions (such as what shows that you are ready to be a SLP, what are you most proud of in your portfolio, what shows the most growth). It was quite intimidating but did not end up being horrible. The portfolio is a big project for my capstone class and is supposed to have pretty much everything from grad school. Of course I waited until Monday to start doing it so I spent the entire day working on it. After my presentation I worked on some school work for a little bit (not as long as I should have or had planned to of course J). I decided to go out to dinner with a few of my friends from the program. We all had on nice suits as we walked to our cars. I got to the parking lot and completely forgot where I had parked. I had no idea. It was quite scary. The girls were all concerned and gave me some of our memory strategies that we have been trained to teach others J. I was upset and felt like I was going to burst into tears. The parking lot is rather large and can be overwhelming if you don’t know where your car is. I have discovered that extreme stress has caused me to be more absent-minded. Anyways, I did find my car after walking around for a bit. Dinner was a lot of fun. I will be sad to say good-bye to this group of friends. After dinner my car had a little trouble starting, but the engine eventually turned over. I thought that it was just the cold weather because that affects it sometimes. My gas was getting a little low but I still had 40 or 50 miles before I should even start to think about getting gas. My gas gauge is semi-broken so I have to track miles. It doesn’t go all the way up to full, it hangs out in the middle for awhile then drops to E. I had just gotten onto I-76 (the only highway that goes into Philly) and my car began to slow down and die. It ran out of gas, or seemed that way anyways. I was able to make it to the side of the road (a very small lane) and call my personal towing service (AAA J). I told them to bring gas because I hoped that it was just that. I had to wait for awhile on an extremely busy part of the highway in Philly. I was inches from being on the actual road. I couldn’t step out of my car without being in the road. I was nervous because my gas tank is on the driver’s side (and therefore also in the road). I didn’t know how the AAA guy would survive putting the gas in the tank. So as I waited a cop pulled up behind me. If it’s illegal to have bloody noses, it is also illegal to run out of gas J. He was actually very nice and put up flares behind me. He was concerned about me because there were cars rushing behind me at 60, 70, 80 miles per hour-very scary. After the cop left, I decided that it was God’s way of telling me to take time to study. So I got out the horribly huge blue book and studied for a few minutes for my comps and NESPA. The AAA came and I had to get out of my car. I waited until there was a lull in the traffic and bolted out of my car. I had to step onto the horrible highway to open the gas tank cover and take the gas cap off. The AAA guy had a hard time getting the gas in my gas tank. I had to cover my eyes because he stood on the road for awhile as cars continued to fly by at lightning speeds. I was finally able to start my car. He told me to go a few miles to the Conshohocken exit to get gas. I obeyed although I felt like I could have made it a few miles more to King of Prussia. With a sick feeling in my stomach, I paid $3.03 for a few gallons of gas when it was 20 cents cheaper a few miles down the road. I only got a few gallons of gas for 3.03, then I drove the few miles to KOP to fill up the rest of my tank for the bargain price of 2.83 J. The thing that is very random is that the needle in the gas gauge went to F for the first time ever. Very strange. I drove home and got home around midnight. I heard what sounded like dripping and swishing sounds coming from the back end of my car. I didn’t see anything leaking so hopefully everything is ok. So here are all the gory details. I never know which ones to leave out so I included them all J. Please pray for me because I have so much stuff coming up: 3 papers due next week, my comps (which I need to pass with a 70 to graduate), my national exam (that I need to get certified), and two finals.

1 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

OH Nina, I was so frightened for you as I read it. I'm SO glad you're okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home