Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I wish I practiced what it preached

Lynette, Here is the song I mentioned eariler today. I find the lyrics to be very powerful. Jess, a lot of it reminds me of what you say about comparing our lives to others.

"Psalm 73 (My God's Enough)"
Barlow Girl (feat. Todd Agnew)

I've had enough of living life for only me
And reaching just for the things that keep destroying me
So sick of envying the lives of so many I see
Somehow believing that they have what I need

[Chorus:]
My God's enough for me
This world has nothing I need
In this whole life I've seen
My God's enough, enough for me

I can't explain why I suffer though I live for You
Those who deny You
they have it better than I do
Cover my eyes now so that my heart can finally see
That in the end only You mean anything

Who have I in heaven but You
Nothing I desire but You
My heart may fail but not You
You are mine forever

I know these words are true but somehow I have a hard time letting them sink in and being seen in how I live.

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

What a great song! I heard one similar to that a couple of years ago that said something like, "This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything.....everything I could ever want, but nothing that I need." I know what you mean. It's so easy to play "Keeping up with the Jones's" and believe that what we see in other people's lives will make us happy. One more thing I'll probably deal with forever!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Remember that paragraph thing that Michelle showed us when we were in Spain? It was mostly about finding contentment in God and not expecting contentment to come from a relationship with a guy, but one thing it said applies here, too. It was something like, "Stop looking around at what I've given other people, and realize that I have a special plan for your life, too." We just have to realize once and for all that what God has in store for someone else might look better than what we have right now, but He loves us all and has fantastic plans for each one of our lives.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

Wow, that's a great song! I need to get that one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home