Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My internship

I know it has been awhile since I've written but I am finally trying to catch up. I'm just trying to get used to my new schedule. I feel like everything in my life is new. Nothing is the same at all. Thankfully I have a Father who is consistent and never changes. So I won't go into the details of how my life is really different even in the last two weeks but I so want to talk about my internship (or my clinical practicum as those of us on the inside like to call it). Ok my site is in Downingtown at the Devereux Day School. It is nice because it is only a half hour from Phoenixville. I was worried that I would be placed in New Jersey or something. I think it is going to be tough but I really good experience. My first week (last week) consisted of training with the school. I had crisis prevention training and even self defense training...so don't try to beat me up because I am tough :). It was a little intimidating having the self defense class. I'm am just here for an internship and have no intention of needing to use the moves I've learned. Let me explain about the school. It is a school for kids who mostly have behavioral problems. They can't function well in a public school so they come to the Day School. There are also two other campuses that are residential. Some of the kids come to the Day School after living at the other schools for awhile. So these are tough kids. And middle school and high schoolers. I was nervous about that age group but I think it will be fine. I am glad that I got placed here becasue it is nothing I would have chosen for myself. I know I am going to learn so much and that is what I am here for. So last week was a lot of watching and this week I got to start doing screenings. I gave hearing tests yesterday and today I did a language screen. Kate and I went to the Mapleton (residential) campus in Malvern today. Kate is one of my supervisors. She is really cool and not too far out of school herself. My main supervisor is also great but is at the third residential campus. Sorry for all of the intricate details. I HAVE MY OWN OFFICE. I was so excited when I saw it. I have four walls and everything. I even have my own computer and printer and little therapy table. So my experience has been positive so far. It is hard because it is a lot of work for no pay. I am there Monday through Thursday from 8:15 until 2, 3, or 4. Today I didn't get home until almost 5. So please pray for my finances. The SLP at the Mapleton Campus wants me to screen a few of the kids in Spanish. That's definitely a little intimidating but a good chance to use my Spanish. So I am excited about this new opportunity. I'll keep you posted.

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Jen said...

God is good!! I am so happy that thing are going reasonably well! Hopefully you won't have to use any of the moves you were taught!! Hope things continue to get better! Love ya hun!!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Beccalynn said...

Nina,
This sounds AWESOME! I know what you mean about a lot of work and no pay. That's how I felt when I was student teaching. But before you know it, you'll be done and you'll have all that experience!
I love you!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Nikki Jordan said...

It is such a great experience, and I say this to encourage you, I have worked over a year and half now with no pay. It is all for the glory of God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home